Rosewater anti-aging refers to the anti-aging properties of rose-water – a liquid made with rose petal extracts and water. It’s mostly used as a perfume and cuisine. Rose-water is purported to contain beneficial effects such as antioxidants that can slow down the aging process.
Where To Find Rose-water?
In the middle eastern/western Asian countries such as Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, and Lebanon, you can find rose water as a bottled product or a bottled syrup. In your locality, you can always find and order it via online stores or shops that sell the product.
Rose, which is the main ingredient, is a perennial and woody plant that bears the same name. Its scientific name is Rosaceae, and it exists in various colors such as red, pink, and white. The rose flower and its petals are edible and can be made into soup, jam, jelly, and marmalade.
What Are Its Uses and Benefits?
Food and Beverage
- As an ingredient in sweets and desserts in Arab countries
- Used as a flavoring for orange juice in Morrocan
- Pastries and cakes
- In Persian and Middle Eastern cuisines
- Jellies and jams
- In Malaysia and Singapore to flavor Bandung milk
- Fruit salads
- Substitutes red wine and alcohol in cooking
- It’s used to flavor lassi
- Gluba sherbet
- Adds flavor to rice pudding and milk.
- Ingredient in rose oil rose syrup and rose wine.
- It’s used to make sweets and desserts.
- It’s used to flavor cakes and pastries.
Rosewater can be used for the following purposes:
- Treat infections: Rosewater has been found to contain antiseptic properties. A study (1) showed that when rose water is applied as a drop to the eye with conjunctivitis, the rose water healed the eye ailment.
- Provides antioxidants: A study (2) has shown that rose oil and rose petals contain powerful antioxidants that can protect cells against damage. These antioxidants provide lipid peroxidation inhibitory effects that leads to cell protection.
- Treats headaches: A study found that vapor from rose water can relieve headaches (3). Rosewater is commonly used in aromatherapy to decrease the effects of headaches.
- Maintain a balance of skin pH: Your skin pH can be between 4.5 and 6.2 – indications that your skin can be acidic. Excessive and constant use of commercial products such as soaps, products, and facial cleansers can decrease the pH level. The pH level of 5.5 of rose water can help in balancing the skin’s pH levels.
- Provides toning effects: Rosewater can provide toning properties that can remove oils and remaining dirt to optimize your skin for hydration. Rosewater can be a part of CTM or cleansing, toning, and moisturizing routine.
- Treat wounds: Rosewater contains antibacterial properties that can heal the wound faster thus making it clean. It can be used for scars, cuts, and burns.
- Improve moods: Rosewater can be used to improve mood and mental conditions such as grief, tension, stress, and depression. It contains antianxiety and antidepressant properties. Rosewater can also improve the conditions of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. The protein amyloid that is made by the body is present in those medical conditions. Properties in rose water can inhibit amyloid.
- Aid indigestion: Taking rose water has been shown to benefit the digestive system by reducing the symptoms such as upset stomach and bloating. It can also work as a laxative by increasing the amount of water in the stool and treating constipation.
- Heal sore throats: Rosewater might be used to treat sore throats. There’s a detailed study that describes the pharmacological effects of rose water.
- Remove makeup: You can use rosewater to remove makeup by adding coconut oil drops to rosewater. Use a cotton pad to clean your face.
- Heal acne: You can use rosewater as an ingredient in acne treatment. Mix 1 tablespoon of rosewater with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply the mixture onto your face and let it stay for 30 minutes. Rinse with fresh water.
- Adds scent in perfume: Rosewater can be used as an ingredient in perfumes in Eau de Parfum or eau de toilette.
- Prevent tanning: Mix lemon juice with two tablespoons of rosewater and gram flour. Apply the paste onto your face and leave it for 15 minutes.
What Is The Nutritional Content Of Rose?
Rosewater contains few calories about 80. It contains 0 fats and carbohydrates.
What Are The Anti-Aging Effects of Rose-Water?
Due to its antioxidant properties, rose water can also be used as an antiaging remedy. One study from 2008 described that rose water has anti-aging effects especially to those with wrinkled skin. The rose water can reduce wrinkled skin appearance by applying it topically.
Rose-Water Products Available In The Market
Rosewater products can be found in online stores or physical stores. They are available in these forms:
- Aloe vera with rose water
- Facial serum with rose water and hyaluronic acid
- Rose infused beauty products
- Rose jellies
- Rosewater conditioner
- Rosewater facial toner
- Rosewater glycerin
- Rosewater oil water
Rosewater is generally safe to use either by topical application or ingestion. The exception is the allergy it may cause to some people.
- Rosewater mixed with other artificial ingredients can cause skin dryness and further irritate your skin.
- Read the label before using the product
- Check the ingredients
The Bottom Line
Rosewater provides many usages such as food, cosmetics, and topical remedies. Many articles describe its antiaging effects due to its antioxidant properties. Some studies still need further research to verify or validate the claims found in some internet literature. If you want to use rose water as a food or ingredient in cooking, use the food-grade product.