Gabapentin is a commonly used medication for epileptic seizures and nerve pain. Unfortunately, several side effects come from using it. These include depression, anxiety, eye-rolling, chest pain, mood swings, fever, chills, swollen glands, memory loss, and sore throat. These side effects can be overcome by using alternative epileptic seizure remedy. For example, you can get some gabapentin substitute over the counter. We will be looking at some of these here along with gabapentin natural alternatives. But before we go ahead with finding alternatives, you need to be well informed on what gabapentin is and how it works. An understanding of this will help you measure up its alternative accordingly.
Gabapentin is a drug usually prescribed for treating nerve pain caused by shingles disease and epileptic seizures. It is also an anticonvulsant believed to ease pain in the nerve by reducing pain sensitivity. Gabapentin may also alter the low levels of calcium effects, which otherwise will cause seizures. There are different forms in which gabapentin is marketed. It includes tablets, liquid, and capsules. Neurontin is the drug’s brand name, but it is also available in generic form. Gabapentin is available to children above 3 years and adults. There are gabapentin alternatives you might also consider using.
How to Use Gabapentin
A common use of gabapentin is in treating postherpetic neuralgia. This condition is nerve damage brought about by shingles infection. Another use is in treating epileptic seizures. Sometimes gabapentin is used together with some other drugs.
The dosage of gabapentin depends on several factors such as
- Health condition
- Gabapentin form
- Initial dose
Contraindication of gabapentin occurs in the following people;
- Breastfeeding and pregnant women because some studies indicate gabapentin may affect nursing babies or fetuses adversely.
- Children below eighteen years, although children of three years and above, can use it as a treatment for partial seizures.
- Elderly persons as it may take a long while for their kidneys to process this drug
- People with kidney issues because their kidney may not be able to process this gabapentin
Gabapentin Side Effects and Interaction
Gabapentin may interact with drugs administered for stomach acid and pain medications like aluminum hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide. Inform your doctor if you are taking any medication to avoid drug interaction.
Gabapentin and alcohol may also interact, therefore they should not be used together. This interaction may cause severe allergic reactions and some other side effects.
The common side effects of gabapentin include:
- Uncontrolled eye-rolling
- Swift mood changes
- Aggressive behaviors
- Increased movement of the body
- Concentration problems
- Changed school performance
- False wellbeing sense
Gabapentin Substitute Over The Counter
There are lots of side effects linked with gabapentin, and these side effects usually do require medical attention. No wonder people are seeking better and more natural alternatives. Let’s have a look at some gabapentin substitute over the counter;
Shingles pain natural treatment
About thirty percent of the world’s population is affected by shingles. Shingles cause pain in the nerve beside fever, blister-filled with fluid and itching. The same virus that causes chickenpox is responsible for this infection. About a tenth of chickenpox patients experience shingles. This infection is common among older people, especially those fifty years of age and older. Also, the kidney of older people is weaker and may not be able to get rid of gabapentin.
Here is a natural substitute for gabapentin to use for treating shingles pain;
- Honey: The use of honey as a remedy for different conditions, and some scientific studies prove it works. A 2012 study found that Clover and Manuka honey have some antiviral characteristics against zoster virus. To treat symptoms of shingles, you should apply honey topically on affected areas.
- Bath with Colloidal oatmeal: This is a natural low-cost treatment for shingles that causes itching. Colloidal silver infused with water can be used to clean the affected area. Use cool water rather than heated water.
- Topricin: This is a non-chemical cream for relieving pain. It is produced from ingredients used for homeopathic biomedical with no preservatives or chemicals. Anyone can use topricin, and it may be applied for pain relief topically.
Another natural alternative to gabapentin for nerve pain linked with shingles include;
- Hypnosis and acupuncture: These two ancient treatments can be used to decrease acute pain, which happens during post-herpetic nerve neuralgia and shingles infection following herpes episode.
- Capsaicin: Here is another herpes natural remedy symptom. Capsaicin is responsible for making chilies hot and also a great shingles pain remedy. How capsaicin works are that it depletes a substance involved in releasing pain signals. Capsaicin is marketed as cream.
- Turmeric paste: This paste helps relieve shingles associated with pain. It can be made with a mix of turmeric powder, water, and black pepper. Boil the ingredients for about ten minutes and allow to cool before placing it on any affected area.
- Monolaurin fat: This fat is gotten from coconut and made to a supplement. Monolaurin fat can also be gotten from female breast milk. It is said to be a powerful antiviral for enveloped viruses like the herpes virus.
- Lemon balm: Another name for this is Melissa officinalis. Antiviral herbs are thought to be effective in treating herpes viruses. This balm can be used topically or internally. Take three to four cups of the tea gotten from lemon balm daily. You can also take its supplement daily at four to eight capsules.
While you may not be able to keep seizure away, three are some steps you can adopt to reduce its occurrence. These steps may include avoiding drugs and alcohol use, avoid stress, eat healthily, and get enough rest.
You can get some of the mentioned gabapentin substitutes over the counter or make them yourself. Also, to answer a random question of what is the best treatment for fibromyalgia? Gabapentin may not classify as one.